Why should you become an MGS member? There are lots of reasons!
Our members share the love of genealogy, history and how they connect these to their own family stories. Our members love to share and are open to helping new members make their own discoveries. Our members are one of our most valuable assets.
Very many thanks to you and your fellow volunteers. Keep up the great work!
- Members have online access to the MGS searchable database – MANI (MAnitoba Name Index).
- Members have online access to the KOHA database – search for indexed material available within the MGS Resource Centre. Borrow books, CDs etcetera.
- Members have unlimited access to the MGS Resource Centre during open hours where you can access all of the resource material, and use the computer workstations to access Ancestry.com, NewspaperArchives.com and the cemetery index.
- Members receive the monthly digital MGS Journal – Generations.
- Attend seminars, workshops, and, when available, planned excursions (e.g. Salt Lake City).
- Receive assistance with research: a) casual help and b) paid – reduced fees for members.
- Participate in sharing knowledge and expertise – both yours and other members.
- Members may join up to three regional branches; each branch offers specialized knowledge and programs for their regional communities within Manitoba.
- Members meet new friends who share similar interests and maybe family connections!
- Follow us on Facebook, Twitter and our MGS website for the latest information!
What MGS Membership is Best for You?
Individual Member - $60
Associate Member - $25
Institutional Member - $100
Student Member - $15
Memberships are not refundable, nor are they transferrable.
In addition to the MGS membership, you can support MGS branches by joining one or more Manitoba branches. Our branches provide resources and expertise specific to their geographical area of the province through their monthly meetings, guest speakers, field trips and research presentations. Did your ancestors live in Winnipeg or further away in Manitoba? There may be a branch just for you!
Branch fees are shown on the membership form, on branch websites and in your “My Account” section of the MANI membership module once you have activated your MANI account. You must be a member of MGS to purchase a branch membership.
MGS shares reciprocal agreements with the Alberta Genealogical Society, the British Columbia Genealogical Society, the Ontario Genealogical Society and the Saskatchewan Genealogical Society. If you are a member of any of these societies, you may take advantage of a $5.00 discount on your MGS membership fee. To receive the MGS discount, submit your proof of Society membership to MGS in advance.
How To Join or Renew Your Membership Online
1. From the main webpage, click on the Shop icon.
2. Click on Membership
3. Click on New Membership
4. A new page will open where you will need to fill out your name, address, phone number and email address. Click NEXT.
5. A new page will open where you will need to select the type of MGS membership you want (e.g., MGS Individual, Student or Institutional). Click NEXT.
6. A new page will open where you can choose to join one or more Branches (e.g., Southwest MB, Southeast MB & Wpg, and Dauphin). Click NEXT.
7. A new page will open that will give you the opportunity to donate to MGS.
8. Click ADD TO CART.
9. A new page will open, click on VIEW CART.
10. If you have a PayPal account you may sign in; you can also just use a credit card or debit card to complete your payment without a PayPal account.
Your membership will be active immediately upon receipt of online payment. A new member package will be emailed to the address with which you registered your account. Please add @mbgenealogy.com to your safe contacts list to prevent mail not being delivered or sent to your spam or junk folder.
1. Log in to the https://mbgenealogy.com/account/ page and navigate to your account information and select Subscriptions.
2. Your existing membership(s) will appear revealing the expiration date, status and either show Subscribe (if they have already expired) or Renew (if still active).
3. Click on Renew / Subscribe. This will take you to payment page. If you have a PayPal account you may sign in; you can also just use a credit card or debit to complete your payment without a PayPal account.
Your membership will be active immediately upon receipt of online payment. A confirmation will be emailed to the address with which you registered your account. Please add @mbgenealogy.com to your safe contacts list to prevent mail not being delivered or sent to your spam or junk folder.
Our connection for online payment is through a secure connection using PayPal. It does not require a PayPal account and allows you to use a variety of credit cards to complete a transaction without the need to create a PayPal account. However, having a PayPal account requires less information to be entered each time, as it is stored in the PayPal system. If you do not have a PayPal account, you can use credit or debit card.
Please note that you will need to do this process for each membership you have. We are investigating whether the process can be combined.
How to Join or Renew Your Membership Using Cash or Cheque
- Click Membership-Form and either
- fill in the fields on your computer and print the form, or
- print the form and fill it out by hand.
- Mail a cheque and the completed form or bring the form in person to the MGS Library/Resource Centre along with a cash or cheque payment.
Donations to MGS
MGS appreciates all charitable donations to our organization. Choose one of these three options:
- If joining or renewing through MANI, you may use the DONATION buttons at the end of the registration/renewal form. The amount will be added to your total purchase.
- You may donate online at any time by clicking on the “Donate” button in the banner at top of each web page. You will be taken to the PayPal website, where you can select your donation amount in a secure environment.
- If you are mailing in a printed membership form, you can add a donation to the total amount that you are submitting.
Conditions of Membership
A condition of your membership in the Society is that you agree to your name, address, email address and membership number being held on a computer database. This is essential for administrative purposes and will be used by the Society only for such purposes. MGS Membership is non-refundable as members get immediate access to our online database and all the information therein.