Christian FAHRNI (1848-1915)
Born in Switzerland on 07 August 1848, he moved to Iowa in 1867 then came to Fort Garry in 1873 where, in company with Charles Allard, he engaged in a horse-trading and livery business.
On 12 July 1881, he married Priscilla Hyndman (1860-1946), and they had six children: Madeline S. Fahrni (1882-1957, wife of Pal Long), Roy Christopher Fahrni (1884-1958), Gordon Samuel Fahrni (1887-1995), Stanley Harrison Fahrni (1889-1975), Walter Wesley Fahrni (1891-1958), and Gladys Marguerite Fahrni (1894-1923). They lived in Gladstone where he homesteaded.
He retired to Victoria, British Columbia where he died on 26 September 1915. He was buried in the Gladstone Cemetery.
- Reprinted with permission from Manitoba Historical Society with updates.
- Birth and Death Registrations, Manitoba Vital Statistics.
- Obituary [Madeline Fahrni Long], The Province, [Vancouver], 25 May 1957, page 30.
- Obituary [Walter Fahrni], Vancouver Sun, 19 April 1958, page 29.
- Obituary [Gladys Fahrni], Vistoria Daily Times, 04 January 1923, page 9.
Manitoba Genealogical Society has been transcribing cemeteries since the late 1970s. An abundance of information may be found in these transcripts, including the location of the burial site and information regarding burials where the grave marker is no longer visible. If you would like to purchase a transcript of a Manitoba cemetery, please follow our link.