Cpl Hampton Willis Greenaway 1892-1965

Hampton Willis Greenaway was born on 17 October 1892 in Holland Centre, Grey County, Ontario. By 1901 he was living in the Moline district in Manitoba with his family, later moving to Newdale, Manitoba. His father was a farmer.

Cpl Hampton Greenaway 1918 107th Battalion WWI

On 6 January 1916, Hampton enlisted in WWI in Winnipeg Manitoba, joining the 107th Battalion CEF known as the Canadian Engineers or Canadian Pioneers. Training was completed at Camp Hughes, Sewell, Manitoba near the current CFB Shilo. He sailed from Halifax on 18 September 1917 on the SS Olympic. He served in France and Belgium. He was part of the Hill 70 battle, under General Currie, near Lens France between 15 and 25 Aug 1917.

It was on 15 August 1917 that Pte Hampton Willis Greenaway proved what a strong young farm boy from Newdale, Manitoba is capable of. His Bravery in the Field Medal, awarded on 21 September 1917 reads: “On August 15 1917, Pte Greenaway was a stretcher bearer and showed great dexterity and skill in tending to the wounded under intense hostile fire of shrapnel, H.E. and gas. His devotion to duty under very trying circumstances was undoubtedly the means of saving a great many lives. His devotion was immense and the cases of men he personally saved were so numerous that his merit should be recognized. He was on duty for 36 hours with only short intervals of rest.”

It is estimated that Hill 70 took more than 9,000 Canadian soldiers but the German loss was estimated at 25,000. His brother in law, Frederick Howard from Newdale, perished earlier that year on 25 June 1917 when a tunnel he was in collapsed. Hampton was promoted to Corporal on 25 Aug 1918 but reverted to Sapper at his own request on 21 Sep 1918.

He sailed back to Canada on 10 Mar 1919 aboard the RMS Celtic. Hampton returned to his wife, Nellie Howard also of Newdale Manitoba, and daughter and continued farming until his death on 1 Sep 1965. Hampton spent many months in the Deer Lodge Hospital in Winnipeg as he suffered greatly from being gassed during his time in the trenches in WWI. Grandpa Greenaway was a quiet, unassuming man, small in stature but big in heart. Always up for a game of crib during his days spent at their cabin at Clear Lake. He never ever spoke of the war and it was not until just a few years ago that most of the family became aware of his medal.

He was laid to rest at the Oak River Cemetery. Hampton’s brother, Gordon Greenaway, who joined at the same time and was also part of the Boys from Newdale in the 107th Battalion, arrived back in Canada 7 May 1919. There were 20 young men from Newdale Manitoba in the 107th known as the Timber Wolves.

Submitted by granddaughter
Barb Bradley MGS #2498

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *