James Quinn GALLAGHER (1863-1935)
Born in New Brunswick on 31 October 1863, he was the son of Patrick Gallagher (c1827-1901) and Catherine Maher (c1833-1912). He came to Winnipeg with his father in 1889 where he was an early butcher. He was later head of the meat-packing firm Gallagher, Holman and Lafrance, and managing director of the Gibson Gage Company.
He was married twice, first on 04 August 1981 to Bridget Agnes Kennedy (1869-1904) with whom he had six daughters: Kathleen Mary “Kay” Gallagher (1893-1972, wife of Edward Joseph Jobin), Maria Electa Gallagher (1895-?, wife of T.R. O’Neail), Margaret Josephine Gallagher (1897-1975, wife of A.J. Patenaude), Agnes Gertrude Gallagher (1899-?, wife of J.H. Devine), Rosanna “Rose” Gallagher (1902-?, wife of J.J. Kenneally), and Regina Alice Gallagher (1904-1984, wife of F.N. Davies).
His second marriage was on 17 January 1910 to Mary Theresa Fitzpatrick (1880-1958) with whom he had five children: Mary Gallagher (1910-?), James Cornelius Gallagher (1912-1944), William Patton Gallagher (1918-2001), John Francis Gallagher (1919-2007), and Rita Agnes Gallagher (1922-2018, wife of Joseph Hay).
He died in Winnipeg on 23 November 1935 and was buried in the St. Mary’s Catholic Cemetery. He is commemorated by Gallagher Avenue.
- Reprinted with permission from Manitoba Historical Society and updated.
- Death Registrations, Manitoba Vital Statistics.
- World War II Records, Canada.
- Grave Marker, Find a Grave.
- Obituary [Mary T. Gallagher], Winnipeg Free Press, 03 November 1958, page 21.
- Obituary [Kathleen Jobin], New Mexican [Sante Fe, N.M.], 31 October 1972, page 4.
- Obituary [Margaret J. Patenaude], San Francisco Examiner, 19 November 1975, page 44.
- Obituary [William Paton Gallagher], Calgary Herald, 15 July 2001, page 71.
- Obituary [John Francis Gallagher], Edmonton Journal, 06 October 2007, page 35.
- Obituary [Rita Agnes Hay], Winnipeg Free Press, 08 September 2018.