At last! A new sign at the MGS Resource Library. Isn’t it beautiful?
The old MGS sign regularly caused confusion for people coming to MGS for the first time—the old sign said MGS Family History and people got confused. They were looking for the words Manitoba Genealogical Society. The big blue sign (our logo) is noticeable from across the parking lot, and is much more visible.
Thank you to Kathryn Blair-Colbert, MGS Grants & Fundraising Chair, for successfully accessing a grant from the Manitoba Arts Culture & Sport in Community Fund (Small Cap & Special Initiatives) for needed renovations to the MGS Resource Centre. This grant was specifically to replace carpeting, get exterior signage on building & mall pylon, and to get 2 commercial grade scanners. We were able to get the scanners and exterior signage on the building. We are now getting quotes for the carpet replacement and mall pylon.
Thank you to Rick Walker, MGS Research Chair for his work in getting the scanners, setting them up, writing up an instruction booklet and putting up notices to let visitors know about the scanners. He also successfully got our new sign installed–from receiving quotes, working with our landlord to ensure all rules were followed, to overseeing the installation.
MGS has been in this location for over a decade, and it has the original carpet flooring. It is worn and we are all looking forward to an upgrade of our flooring.
If you haven’t been to the MGS Resource Centre in awhile, stop by and visit.
- Access the Manitoba Name Index (MANI)
- Restore some old photos with Vivid-Pix.
- Scan old documents and photos with the commercial grade scanner.
- Access over 10,000 books from our library.
- Access NewspaperArchive.com International Edition and find obituaries and more.
- Access Ancestry Library Edition to get access to the many databases that they have.
- Access the specialized knowledge of our volunteers who have been doing genealogy for decades. All their experience is available to you-just ask your question!
As usual, MGS members may access all our holdings for free, and non-members can access our holdings for a $10 day-use fee. We are located in an L shaped strip mall behind Smitty’s Restaurant and The Brick on St. James Street in Winnipeg. Lots of free parking. Lots of restaurants nearby.