Have you every wondered what goes on at the Manitoba Genealogical Society? Well, here is an opportunity to find out!
At MGS, the Library Committee volunteers on Tuesdays to keep our Resource Library doors open to members and the public. This is a nice, close knit group that are fun to work with and are looking to welcome new volunteers into the fold. New volunteers will work with a “buddy” to learn the various tasks that are done on Tuesdays. You will learn a lot about the library, it’s holdings, and how things work at MGS. Stop in on a Tuesday between 10 am and 3 pm, and talk to our Library Chair, Mavis Gray. She can give you an outline of what they do.
What exactly goes on every Tuesday?
- volunteers check voice messages and emails to MGS and respond
- volunteers get the mail
- donated books are processed
- KOHA is updated
- Journal exchanges with 45+ genealogical societies are processed and put into the database
- assist visitors with their genealogy research
- and so much more
Here is the MGS Library Committee documentation so you can get a good idea of what the Library Committee does.
PURPOSE: To ensure that current and useful library resources are available for use by patrons; to develop appropriate procedures for achieving this objective
AREAS OF RESPONSIBILITY:
- Ordering and purchase of library materials
- Processing of donations to library holdings
- Processing of library materials resulting from MGS projects (eg. cemetery and church records)
- Processing materials acquired through exchanges
Circulation, maintenance and inventory control of Library materials:
- Recording and display of journals and periodicals
- Online catalogue system KOHA
- Shelf list maintenance
- Mending and covering of books
- Maintenance of other files as required
Organization and storage of library materials:
- Classification of materials
- KOHA computer database, entry of data and printing of labels
- Processing all library materials for shelving
- Setup and arrangement of library fixtures and equipment, in consultation with Vice President Administration and/or Office Coordinator
- Circulation of material including mailing
- Reviewing materials for publication in “Generations”
- Sending updated library information for website to person in charge of website
- Helping patrons with their use of library materials
Responsibilities – Chair of Library Committee
- Acts as coordinator for all library acquisitions of the Society
- Develops plans and policies for the acquisition and recording of resource materials; may include working with other Departments, Committees
- Keeps current with new resource developments and maintains liaison with related libraries and organizations
- Resolves any problems arising from reference questions, missing materials, etc. with assistance as required from committee or other departments
Please inquire at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information or to indicate your interest in volunteering.