Following a very long closure due to the COVID-19 Pandemic, the decision to re-open the MGS Resource Centre to volunteers, members and visitors was approved at the meeting of the MGS Executive in June 2020. This decision was made carefully, taking into consideration the Guidelines set out by the Province of Manitoba for re-opening of businesses including not-for-profit organizations. Manitoba-Restoring Safe Services
The Manitoba Genealogical Society is very grateful for your patience and support during this difficult period of time. We would like you to be assured that although our Resource Centre has been closed, our dedicated volunteers have continued to work behind the scenes, our volunteers working remotely from home continuing to add new information to MANI (Members Only Index), or coming into the closed Centre once weekly to monitor/process new mail, and/or monitor and respond to new email messages. Our researchers continued to work on their projects remotely from home and respond to inquiries related to research.
RESUMED HOURS OF OPERATION
Tuesdays, Wednesdays, Thursdays: 10 a.m. to 3 p.m.
Of course, although we will be opening July 7th it will be necessary to follow the Province of Manitoba Guidelines for re-opening to the public. Access to the Centre will be limited. Members and patrons who wish to visit the MGS Resource Centre should call the MGS Centre (204-783-9139) in advance to arrange a scheduled time to visit. Only 4 appointments will be scheduled on each of the 3 days. The Province encourages all volunteers, members, patrons and visitors to use the screening information in the self-screening tool before leaving home to visit the centre. (Self-Screening Tool) Volunteers who may be experiencing symptoms of COVID-19 (such as cough, fever, runny nose, sore throat, breathing difficulty) should stay home and anyone exhibiting COVID-19 symptoms should contact Health Links at 204-788-8200 or 1-888-315-9257.
During your visit the following regulations will be implemented:
- Before being allowed to access the MGS Resource Centre all visitors will be verbally screened at the front counter about COVID-19 symptoms before proceeding further into the centre. Anyone exhibiting symptoms will not be allowed to proceed.
- All persons entering the Resource Centre must use the sanitizer provided at the time of entry and also when exiting. Washrooms are available and recommended hand washing before exiting the washroom.
- Wearing face masks will continue to be strongly recommended.
- Personal teaching or other assistance from on site volunteers will be impacted, to comply with necessary safe distancing.
- Personal laptops/IPADS will be allowed in the centre but restricted to the large conference table in the middle of the room and will be spaced according to current restrictions. Laptops/IPADs will be required to be sanitized on entry to the centre as well as before exiting the centre.
- If requiring a Resource Centre computer to do research, volunteers, members or patrons will be assigned to one computer for the duration of their visit and stations will be sanitized after use. It is recommended you bring your own pen/pencil but one can be provided and will be sanitized after use.
- Books and other material obtained for research/reading must be returned to the book return receptacle at the front desk for sanitizing and re-shelving.
If you have questions or concerns about this re-opening, do not hesitate to call us at 204-783-9139 or leave us your comments at the bottom of this post. Thank you for your continued interest and support!