Sometimes you can’t come into our MGS Resource Library, and you want to search in a particular place for an individual ancestor. We will do that lookup for you!
A member(s) of the Research Team will search one name in a single source
Your choice of resources held within the MGS Resource Library (https://mani.mbgenealogy.com/research/index.php)
Electronic delivery of results (e-mail with file downloads)
You have a choice of 12 MGS Resource Library holdings that are not online due to copyright issues. You can choose from:
- Cemetery Index – transcriptions on tombstones of over 1365 cemeteries throughout Manitoba. (A list of cemeteries is available on our website in our e-Store.) Select “Manitoba Cemetery Transcriptions” from the list.
- Manitoba Crown Lands Registry – index listing land description for major land grants and homesteads. (Copy of index will be enclosed with research.)
- Newspaper Obituary Index – births, marriages and deaths found in selected rural Manitoba newspapers 1859 – 1887 and in Winnipeg newspapers from 1859 to mid 1890s, also Winnipeg obituaries 1968 to present.
- Manitoba Local History Books – approximately 900 books that contain family histories. The relevant locality must be listed on your research request.
- Census Records
- Census of Canada 1881, 1891, 1901, 1911, 1921
- Census of Prairie Provinces (1906, 1916, 1926)
- Red River Census 1870
- Henderson Directories – Manitoba addresses and residents from 1876 to 1908, and Winnipeg addresses and residents from 1908 to end of publication in 1999. (Fee includes a 5-year search span.)
- Manitoba Telephone Directories – Various Manitoba telephone directories for both Winnipeg City and rural areas from approximately 1950 onwards. (Gaps in coverage exist)
- Appropriate Ancestry.com searches (e.g. Canadian Voter Lists).
- Appropriate Newspapearchives.com searches (e.g. obituaries and social events) – mainly Winnipeg.
- Anglican Marriage, Baptism and Death Registers – over 60 church indexes from the Diocese of Rupert’s Land. The registers list parents’ names, date and place of marriage or baptism. Years range from 1813 to 1925.
- Some Catholic Marriage Registers – 30 Manitoba registers that list parents’ names, date and place of marriage. Years range from 1834 to 1982.
- United Church Archives Index – marriage, baptism and burial indexes for a large number of Manitoba and N.W. Ontario charges. Includes date and place, spouse, if a marriage, and parents, if a birth.
In addition to the sources in our library, we have access to many online resources that may be applicable to your research request. We will advise you of any possible further research and costs that would be of use to you when we respond to your query.
This search will give you a minimum of 6 hours of a volunteer researcher’s time. Although we prefer to deliver results electronically, the package can cover photocopying and postage up to a $5.00 maximum.
We will do a one name search in any of the above sources for a fee of $15 for each source. It is for this reason that many of our customers choose the full research package.
In addition to sources in our library, we have access to many online resources (some free and some we subscribe to for a fee) that could be used where we feel they may be of help in collecting information for you. We will advise of you any possible further research and cost that would be useful to you when we respond to your query.