The Koha web address has been temporarily changed to koha-opac.bole.ca The icon on the main page does not work. Sorry for the inconvenience.
A U.S. organization has just published an online “Genealogy Resource Guide” including the following topics:
This resource will be very valuable for both beginning and experienced genealogists. It can be found at http://backgroundchecks.org/public-records/the-genealogy-resource-guide.
MGS will be hosting informational and promotional displays at two events this summer, organized by MGS Outreach Chair, Bill Curtis. Volunteers are needed at both events to help inform the public about MGS. If you can volunteer for a couple of hours, please email: email@example.com You may know of other events that would be appropriate for MGS to attend. If so, let Bill now. We are always looking for opportunities.
Manitoba Highland Gathering
Saturday/Sunday June 24-25, Legacy Park, East Selkirk, R.M. of St. Clements, Hwy. 59 and PR # 212. http://manitobahighlandgathering.org/home/
Folklorama – Pavilion of Scotland
Sunday, August 13 to Saturday, August 19, Glenwood Community Club, 27 Overton St. https://www.folklorama.ca
Many of our volunteers have worked tirelessly at these events for many years (some as many as 40 years). It is time to add some new people to our volunteer pool.
Two awards were presented at the MGS AGM on June 3:
1. The Eric Jonasson Award of Merit is the major award given by MGS. It was created in 1999 to honour Eric Jonasson for his contributions to MGS. He was one of the founding members of the Society in 1976 and was the first President, serving until 1980. Eric wrote his first genealogical guide “Tracing Your Icelandic Family Tree” in the 1970’s, followed by “The Canadian Genealogical Handbook” in 1976. In 1983, he published “Untangling Your Family Tree”. The 2017 winner is Virginia Braid from the SE/Winnipeg Branch.
2. The Florence Cox Volunteer Service Award was created in 1999 before Flo passed away in 2000. Flo was a member of MGS from 1979. She was an active volunteer in the Library and helped out in the indexing of many Manitoba cemeteries. Flo donated a new photocopier in her will to the Society, for which we were all very grateful. The Florence Cox Awards are presented in acknowledgement of exceptional service to MGS. More that one award can be made each year. The 2017 winners are Sheila Shearer and Stacey Shackel from the Southwest Branch, and Sheila Woods from the SE/Winnipeg Branch. Congratulations to all the recipients.
The 2017 AGM was held on Saturday, June 3 at 11:15 am at the Northwest Law Enforcement Academy in Winnipeg. The meeting included the 2016-17 Annual Reports and financial statements, election of Executive officers, and presentation of MGS awards. The 2017-18 Executive officers elected at the AGM (for 1-year terms) are:
President – Jayne Paradis, VP Administration – Virginia Braid, VP Communications – Janice Butcher, VP Finance – Rick McLellan, VP Information Technology – vacant.
The Secretary and Treasurer will be appointed by the MGS Executive at the first meeting after the AGM. The 8-member MGS Executive also includes Past President, Jim Oke. A special thank you to Jim for his contribution as President over the last three years.
Long-time MGS member, Kathy Stokes, has been awarded the Lieutenant Governor’s Award for Historical Preservation and Promotion. This award, initiated in 2011, is presented in consultation with the Manitoba Historical Society to people who have rendered prolonged, meritorious service in the preservation and promotion of Manitoba’s history and heritage. Awards are presented annually in a ceremony at Government House. This year’s awards were presented on May 11. A red maple tree will be planted in a local park in honour of each of the five 2017 recipients.
Kathy’s citation follows: “Kathy Stokes has been an active member of the Manitoba Genealogical Society since 1976, having served as its President twice, and the Chair of its Special Projects Committee since 1980. She was instrumental in the creation, preservation, and public presentation of transcription records for over 1300 cemeteries throughout Manitoba, and is now helping to transfer this information into an online computer database (MANI). She gives regular seminars on genealogy and has written numerous columns for the Society’s journal, as well as several books on family history in Manitoba. She has also worked with the Fort Garry Historical Society and the Manitoba Heritage Federation. In 2013, her work was recognized with the Lieutenant Governor’s “Make a Difference Community Award.”
Two organizations have been very helpful to MGS over the years in providing obituaries for our records:
- Winnipeg Free Press. For 40 years the Winnipeg Free Press has supplied the Research Committee with copies of their obituary pages so they can be indexed. http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/
- Portage la Prairie Regional Library. The Library, courtesy of Librarian Percy Gregoire- Voskampe, has provided obituaries from the Portage Daily Graphic for the years 1929-2015. http://www.portagelibrary.com/
MGS greatly appreciates these contributions to the work that we do.
Saturday, June 3 at the Northwest Law Enforcement Academy, 200-1821 Wellington Ave., Winnipeg. The meeting will include the 2016-17 Annual Reports, approval of financial statements, election of Executive officers, and presentation of MGS awards.
- Executive officers to be elected annually at the AGM for 1-year terms include President, VP Administration, VP Communications, VP Finance, and VP Information Technology. The Secretary and Treasurer are appointed by the MGS Executive at the first executive meeting after the AGM. The Past President completes the 8-member executive.
- Click here for a copy Nomination Form – Executive
- Nominations for Executive officers can be sent to the Nominations committee chair, Daryl Dumanski at firstname.lastname@example.org . Deadline May 29.
Schedule for June 3 Meeting:
- 9:30 Meet and Greet – opportunity to talk with David Obee and browse his books for sale
- 10:00 Presentation by David Obee (more information below). MGS non-members are invited to attend at no charge.
- 11:15 MGS AGM