The Manitoba Genealogical Society can assist you with your genealogical research. There are three levels of assistance available:
- Volunteer assistance at the MGS Resource Centre
- MGS paid research services for a set fee
- Independent researchers with a fee-for-service
1. Volunteer Assistance at the MGS Resource Centre
For MGS members and non-members who pay the $10 daily drop-in fee, volunteers will offer help to get you started on your genealogical journey.
Before you seek assistance, your first course of action should be to follow all possible leads – family, home and community sources, and oral interviews with relatives. Visit the MGS “Getting Started” section on this website. It will introduce you to the beginnings of your family’s story. Check also the Library and Resource Centre for holdings to assist you in your research. Our Online Catalog, KOHA, allows you to do some of this from home. If you are an MGS member, you can do some preliminary searches in MANI, our MAnitoba Names Index.
Organize your material before you visit our Resource Centre, or contact us. This will make it easier for our volunteers to help you. Use only copies, not original documents, when you visit us or send requests through the mail. Although we have resources from many countries, our main resources and collections are those about the province of Manitoba. We can, however point you in the right direction when and if your research indicates that your Manitoba roots have been exhausted and you need to move on to another province or country. Refer to our Getting Started page for helpful information.
If you wish to save scanned documents, please bring a USB stick with you.
2. MGS Paid Research Services
If you wish to have more assistance with your research, MGS offers two options where our experienced volunteers will conduct a “one name” search applicable to your inquiry for a pre-paid fee, using the information available in the Library/Resource Centre.
The MGS Research Package is available for a set fee of $75.00 for non-members and $60.00 for MGS members and entails a search of appropriate sources from the list below. It will give you a minimum of 6 hours of a volunteer researcher’s time. Although we prefer to deliver results electronically, the package can cover photocopying and postage up to a $5.00 maximum. To help us get started, please complete our Research Request Form and mail/email it to us along with the required fee.
The Single Source Search is a “one name” search of individual sources for a fee of $10.00 per source. Please complete our Single Source Search Form indicating which sources you wish us to search, and mail/email it to us along with the required fee.
Please note that the time spent by our volunteer researchers when no useful information is found is just as valuable as the time spent when we do find useful information. No refunds will be made. While we would like to get back to you as soon as possible, we are a volunteer-run organization and it may take 2 – 3 weeks for you to receive a reply.
For requests by mail, MGS only accepts personal cheques or money orders. Please do not send cash through the mail. If you wish to pay with a credit card or PayPal, you can submit a request through MANI . (It is not necessary to Register or Log In unless you are an MGS member.)
- Cemetery Index – transcriptions on tombstones in many hundreds of cemeteries throughout Manitoba. (A list of cemeteries is available on our website.)
- Manitoba Crown Lands Registry – an index listing land descriptions for major land grants and homesteads. (Copy of index will be enclosed with research.)
- Newspaper Obituary Index – births, marriages and deaths found in selected rural Manitoba newspapers 1859 – 1887 and in Winnipeg newspapers from 1859 to mid 1890s; Also Winnipeg obituaries 1968 to present.
- Manitoba Local History Books – approximately 900 books that contain histories of many families. The relevant locality must be listed on your research request.
- Census Records
- Census of Canada 1881, 1891, 1901, 1911, 1921
- Red River Census 1870
- Census of Prairie Provinces 1906, 1916, 1926
- Henderson Directories – Manitoba addresses and residents from 1876 to 1908, and Winnipeg addresses and residents from 1908 to end of publication in 1999. (Fee includes a 5-year search span.)
- Manitoba Telephone Directories – Various Manitoba telephone directories for both Winnipeg City and rural areas from approximately 1950 onwards. (Gaps in coverage exist)
- Appropriate Ancestry.com searches (e.g. Canadian Voter Lists).
- Appropriate Newspaperarchives.com searches (e.g. obituaries and social events) – mainly Winnipeg.
- Anglican Marriage, Baptism and Death Registers – over 60 church indexes from the Diocese of Rupert’s Land. The registers list parents’ names, date and place of marriage or baptism. Years range from 1813 to 1925.
- Some Catholic Marriage Registers – 30 Manitoba registers that list parents’ names, date and place of marriage. Years range from 1834 to 1982.
- United Church Archives Index – marriage, baptism and burial indexes for a large number of Manitoba and N.W. Ontario charges. Includes date and place, spouse, if a marriage, and parents, if a birth.
In addition to the sources in our library, we have access to many internet web-sites that may be applicable to your research request. We will advise you of any possible further research and costs that would be of use to you when we respond to your query.
For more information you can contact us at email@example.com
3. Independent Researchers – Record Searchers 2020
The following searchers (alphabetical) have indicated to the Manitoba Genealogical Society that they are willing to conduct genealogical research for a fee. Individuals wishing to engage the services of a searcher must correspond directly with the searcher of their choice. The Manitoba Genealogical Society will not recommend individual searchers nor do we take responsibility for the performance of a searcher hired by you.
When contacting a record searcher:
– Include a copy of your pedigree chart (also religion, if known).
– Give details on the family lines that need work.
– Specify what research has already been done on those lines.
GEN-FIND Research Associates, Inc.
#101 – 5170 Dunster Road, Suite #521,
Nanaimo, BC V9T 6M4
Tel: 250-390-1766, Fax: 250-390-1787, Toll-Free Tel: 1-877-390-1766
Research Area: Certified and accredited genealogists with many decades of experience, local to the Manitoba scene and nationally, will conduct hourly and daily research for family history and forensic/legal clients in all areas. We specialize in all English-speaking countries involving complex multi-regional pedigree developments, though with our network of agents, will also conduct work in other foreign countries. Please review our website and contact us for further information.
Winnipeg, MB. Phone 204-291-5650.
Research areas: Winnipeg and Manitoba – census records, vital records, city directories, newspapers, immigration, probate, land and parish records, local history, adoptions, etc.
There is a $25 annual fee to place your name on the list of Independent Record Searchers. Individuals wishing to have their names added to this list should contact the Research Chair at firstname.lastname@example.org
James R. Rutherford, MGS Record Searcher Administrator (issued January 1, 2021)