Overview – What MGS has to Offer
Library and Resource Centre
MGS has an extensive 2400-square foot Library and Resource Centre located in Winnipeg at Unit E, 1045 St. James Street (corner of Ellice and St. James – in the south-east corner of the “Brick” parking lot). It is staffed by MGS volunteers. A brief summary of its contents follows:
- Large collection of books on genealogical research, historical topics, specific regions/countries
- Local and Family Histories with an emphasis on Manitoba.
- Periodicals from other Societies in Canada and other countries
- Computers for individual searches
The Library/Resource Centre also provides workspace for research and writing.
Online Library Catalogue – KOHA
The Library/Resource Centre has produced an online catalogue of all books and reference material held in the library, searchable by title, author and keyword. You can search from home or at the Library. Check out the online MGS Library Catalogue.
MANI (MAnitoba Name Index) is a large database of unique Manitoba genealogical records that is searchable online.
Development of Unique Manitoba Resources
- Indexes of transcriptions on tombstones for about 1400 cemeteries throughout Manitoba
- Early Manitoba newspaper obituary index
MGS Journal (Generations) published quarterly
- MGS members can receive free assistance from volunteers at Resource Centre
- Members and non-members can pay for a basic Research package or hire a professional searcher
- Offered by the four MGS Branches
- Promotion of workshops provided by Winnipeg Libraries and other genealogical organizations
Education and Outreach in the Community
Every year MGS provides several educational presentations in the community.
More and more people are discovering the excitement of tracing their family history. The MGS can help you in getting started or furthering your research in this fascinating pastime.
Governance and Administration of MGS
The MGS Constitution was originally written in 1976. It has been revised several times with the most recent revision passed at the 2018 AGM. Current constitution.
A brief description of the Governance Structure of MGS follows:
The governing body is the MGS Council consisting of officers of the Executive, a representative of each branch, and chairs of standing committees. The Council meets at least twice a year.
The 10-member Executive consists of seven elected officers: President, VP Administration, VP Communications, VP Finance, VP Information Technology, and two Members at Large; two appointed officers: Recording Secretary and Treasurer; and the Past President. The Executive directs the affairs of the Society between meetings of Council and meets monthly except in July and August.
MGS Departments and Standing Committees
- Administration Department (chaired by VP Administration)
- Membership Services
- Office Coordination
- Special Projects
- Communications Department (chaired by VP Communications)
- Generations Journal
- Education and Outreach
- Social Media
- Finance Department (chaired by VP Finance)
- Grants and Applications
- Information Technology Department (chaired by VP Information Technology)
- Computer and Network Operation
- “MANI” Management and Operation
Job Descriptions (Role Responsibilities)
Click here to read the job descriptions of the Executive positions.
Brief Executive job descriptions
Some job descriptions are presently being revised.
Standing Committee Chairs
Click here to read the job descriptions of MGS Departments and Standing Committee Chairs.
Brief Standing Committee Job Descriptions
The MGS fiscal year is from April 1 to March 31 with the Annual General Meeting held in early June. An annual financial statement is presented at the AGM and may be seen by contacting the President. Click here to see a copy of the 2019 MGS Annual Report.
MGS acknowledges, with thanks, the funding provided by the Province of Manitoba, Department of Sport, Culture and Heritage, and the Winnipeg Foundation.
Friesens Corporation TD Bank
Except for these contributions, MGS is self-funded and relies on volunteers for its operation.