Previously, some of the largest MGS Index collections, the ones most often searched in-house, were divided between many different Microsoft Access databases and had to be searched separately. Now MANI (MAnitoba Names Index) is capable of searching all databases at once. MANI is an ongoing project and will grow to include other indexes and publications as they are identified and indexed by volunteers. MANI will soon reach 1.5 million records.
MGS members must register to use the database MANI. It will enable you to search several MGS indexes and resources in one simple search:
- Indexes for almost 1400 MGS cemetery transcriptions
- Indexes for Obituaries from both rural and Winnipeg newspapers
- An index of the MGS journal “Generations” along with a digitized repository of all issues
- Indexes of BMDs (births, marriages, deaths) from publications and newspapers
- MGS indexes created from local history books published without an index
- Indexes to miscellaneous publications of interest to genealogists
To begin using MANI, you must be a registered MGS member. Members can also use MANI to pay for membership renewals.
Registering for MANI
Click on the icon at the bottom of this page to take you to MANI. Once in MANI, click on “Register” (upper right corner) and fill in a username and password that is easy to remember. There will be a delay while your registration is processed (may be a day or two).
Once your membership has been verified you can begin searching the database. Click on “Login” and enter your username and password. You can now begin searching for specific family names and other information. If you have a problem send an email to email@example.com and include your name and member number. Type MANI in the subject line of your e-mail.
Members can use MANI to pay for membership renewals online.
- If you have already registered for MANI, log in and click on the “My Account” menu at the top of the page. A new page will appear.
- Click on “Account Information”. A page will appear giving personal information on your membership. You can update the information if you wish.
- To renew your membership, click on “Purchase/Renewal” at the top of the page. A new page will appear with two options: a) Purchase credits for viewing records from MANI searches (not available yet), and b) Memberships.
- Complete the membership form by clicking the appropriate boxes – associate member (if applicable) or branch membership. Click on “Purchase”.
- You will be taken to the payment page. You can either pay by PayPal or credit card.
New members can also use MANI to pay membership fees to become a member. Once a member, you can then register for MANI. Go to the Membership page for more information.
Click the icon below or Enter mani.mbgenealogy.com in your browser.