Benefits of MGS Membership
- Unlimited access to the MGS Library/Resource Centre – borrow books, CDs, etc.
- Free access to: Ancestry.com, NewspaperArchive.com, Cemetery indexes, while at the MGS Resource Centre
- Web-access to MGS online search database – MANI (MAnitoba Name Index)
- Receive MGS journal (Generations) four times per year
- Updated information on MGS web-site, Facebook page, and Twitter
- Seminars, workshops, and planned excursions (e.g. Salt Lake City)
- Assistance with research: a) casual and b) paid – reduced fee for members
- Sharing of knowledge and expertise
- Opportunity to join one of four local branches
- Friends with similar interests
Join / Renew Membership
Categories of MGS Members
- Individual members – those who receive all the benefits listed above, plus have voting privileges at MGS meetings and the right to hold elected and appointed office in the Society.
- Associate members – those who reside at the same address as an Individual Member. They have all the privileges of Individual Members except the right to receive Generations.
- Institutional members – are libraries, societies and other similar organizations. Institutional Membership entitles the subscriber to receive the Society’s journal during the paid membership year. The institution may also designate one or two representatives to make use of the Library/Resource Centre.
MGS Membership Fees
Individual – $50.00 Associate – $20 Institutional – $50
- Branch fees are listed on the membership application form, on branch websites and in your “My Account” section part of the MANI membership module if you have activated your MANI account.
- For members of the Ontario Genealogical Society and Saskatchewan Genealogical Society, take advantage of discounted MGS membership fees ($5.00). To receive the MGS discount, submit proof of OGS or SGS membership to MGS.
MANI is the MGS members-only website which enables membership payments with PayPal or credit card. All MGS members are automatically approved for a MANI account. It also includes the ability to search the MAnitoba Name Index and to access back issues of the MGS journal “Generations”. It hosts our membership database, online store and payment modules. You can find out more about MANI here.
New Memberships – Payment Options
- New members can join MGS and create an account in MANI at the same time. Click on the Register link at the top right of the MANI homepage.
- Print and complete the Membership-form-dec-16. Mail to MGS enclosing the appropriate payment or drop off at the Library/Resource Centre. Please do not send cash through the mail.
Renewing Memberships – Payment Options
- Members can use MANI to pay for membership renewals online.
- If you have already registered for MANI, log in and click on the “My Account” menu at the top of the page. A new page will appear.
- Click on “Account Information”. A page will appear giving personal information on your membership. You can update the information if you wish.
- To renew your membership, click on “Purchase/Renewal” at the top of the page.
- A new page will appear with two options: a) Purchase credits for viewing records from MANI searches (not available yet), and b) Memberships: Complete the membership form by clicking the appropriate boxes – e.g. associate member (if applicable) or branch membership.
- Click on “Purchase”. You will be taken to the payment page. You can either pay by PayPal or credit card.
2. Members without a MANI account can create one and then pay online by following the instructions in #1 above.
3. Print and complete the Membership-form-dec-16 and mail to MGS enclosing the appropriate payment, or drop off at the Library/Resource Centre. Please do not send cash through the mail.
Donations to MGS
Many members wish to make a donation to MGS at the same time that they are paying their membership fees. Before MANI was operational, members could include their donation on their membership form and submit the funds with their fees. At the present time, MANI is not capable of processing donations. We are working hard so that donations can be included with your membership fees but for now you will have to use a different option. Currently there are two options for donating to MGS:
- Donate online by clicking on the “Donate” button on the Donations page. You will be taken to the PayPal website, where you can select your donation amount in a secure environment. You can either pay through PayPal or with a credit card.
- If you are mailing in a printed membership form, you can add a donation to the total amount that you are submitting.
Conditions of Membership
A condition of your membership in the Society is that you agree to your name, address, email address and membership number being held on a computer database. This is essential for administrative purposes and will be used by the Society only for such purposes.
Our connection for online payment is through a secure connection using PayPal. It does not require a PayPal account and allows you to use a variety of credit cards to complete the transaction without the need to create a PayPal account. However, having a PayPal account requires less information to be entered as it is stored in the PayPal system. If you do not have a PayPal account, you can use credit or debit.